If you’re like me, you love to be prepared. Imagine all the electrical grids in your neighborhood shut down due to a natural disaster, what happens to all the food in your refrigerator? With an off-grid fridge, you won’t have to worry whether or not you have electricity helping you live a much more self-sustaining lifestyle in case the unthinkable takes place.
Before buying an off gride fridge, it’s important to figure out what constitutes the best off-grid fridge for your circumstance. I’ve put together a comprehensive off-grid fridge buyer’s guide to show you the different factors you need to look into before ultimately making your purchase.
Off-Grid Refrigerator Buyer’s Guide
Here are a few of the essential factors that you need to consider before you buy the best off-grid fridge for yourself:
Size or Capacity
The fridge should be the right size so that it can accommodate the amount of cold food you want to have, whether for one person or a family. So, you need to consider the size and capacity before buying the fridge.
The efficiency of the fridge is critical to know whether it can keep your food properly chilled or not for a long time. Check how cold the fridge can get and how fresh it can keep your food.
Consider buying an off-grid fridge that is able to hold up against the worst conditions – I’m obviously not talking about atomic bombs or anything like that, but at least get a stable fridge that can hold up against storms, hurricanes, etc. If you plan on getting a smaller, more portable fridge, check to see if it easily fits into your vehicle and can be secured with your seat belt in case you need to flee.
Take care of the battery! Some off-gride refrigerators have portable batteries they use to run. Always make sure your refrigerator is fully charged in case you need to run (I’m obviously talking about the portable off-grid fridges, I don’t think you’ll be able to haul away a giant propane-powered fridge!), and it’s always a good idea to have extra, fully-charged batteries on hand as well just in case.
Top 8 Best Off-Grid Fridge Reviews
Below is my list of the eight best off-grid fridges currently available on the market. Included in my reviews are pros and cons to ensure you’re getting the most information before making your purchase.
1. Alpicool C15 Portable Refrigerator
- FREEZES WITHOUT ICE: -4°F(-20°C) deep chilling down performance ,can be a frigde and freezer.
- STORAGE SPACE: Exterior Size- 22.4"x12.6"x10.2".16 Quart(15 Liter) capacity ,fits 20 cans of Cola.
- CAR AND HOME USE:Includes 2 power cables to separately connect with 12/24V DC and 110V to 240V AC...
- STRONG PLASTIC MATERIAL:Light weight but durable and easy transport to anywhere.
- KEEP COOLING AND FRESH:Reliable sealing property construction,thick and high Density Foam...
The Alpicool fridge is one of the most excellent portable refrigerators available. It can freeze up to -4 degrees Fahrenheit (or -20 degrees Celsius). If you’re on the road, it has 3 stage car battery protection which helps prevent your car battery from running out while charging it. The portables handle present on each side makes it very easy to move. Finally, it has an electronic control panel with digital temperature control to monitor the temperature quickly.
- High-efficiency compressor
- ECO and HH modes
- Digital control panel
- Some customers find it poorly designed
- Complaints from some that it’s unable to maintain the right temperature
2. Superior Propane LP Gas Off-Grid Refrigerator
- 10 Cubic Foot Refrigerator 2-Way (LP/110V)
- Exterior Dimensions: 64" H x 24" W x 29" D
- Interior Dimensions: Refrigerator: 36.5" H x 19.5" W x 19" D - Freezer: 13" H x 17" W x 15" D
- Gas Connection: 3/8" Male Flare - Fuel Consumption: 0.35 Gallons Per Day
- Ships by Freight Truck - Commercial Shipping Address Required For Free Delivery
These off-grid refrigerators are known for their excellent quality. It can smoothly run on 0.35 gallons of propane per day. The interior light is an LED light powered by four AA batteries. A flame indicator is present on the control panel, and it has removable shelves so you can make as much space as you want to.
- Good price
- Good quality
- Safety valve
- A bit long
3. Cooluli Mini Fridge
- CONVENIENT + LIGHTWEIGHT: The Cooluli Classic 4-liter thermo-electric cooler/warmer mini fridge...
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS + USES: The Classic 4-L is super-versatile. Use it anywhere to store food,...
- PERFECT FOR SKINCARE & BEAUTY ESSENTIALS: Store your skincare, personal care & beauty product faves!...
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: The unique semiconductor operation is energy-efficient, ultra-quiet and 100%...
- AC + DC + USB: The Cooluli Classic-4L covers all your bases! AC and DC power cords are included for...
This Cooluli Mini Fridge is one of the best ones on the market today as it’s very convenient to use and is lightweight. It’s perfect for use at home or in the office as well. It’s 100% environmentally-friendly and is very energy-efficient also. With a classy look, this mini fridge is great for living off the grid.
- Limited capacity due to smaller size
4. Superior Propane LP Gas Refrigerator
- 2 Cubic Foot All Refrigerator 3-Way (Propane, 110V AC, or 12V DC)
- Exterior Dimensions: 27" H x 18.25" W x 19" D
- Interior Dimensions: 20" H x 15" W x 11" D
- Gas Connection: 3/8" Male Flare - Fuel Consumption: 0.2 Gallons LP/Day
- Color: Black, Reversible Door, Leveling Legs
This product is known for its outstanding quality and reasonable price. It runs on propane, 110V electricity supply as well as a 12V DC battery. The safety valve, igniter, and thermostat are present on the control panel for easy control. The shelves can also be removed in case you need a little extra room in the fridge.
- Removable shelves
- Good quality
- Less capacity as compared to other products.
5. Smad Propane Refrigerator
- Easy to operate manual controls
- Easy to clean, durable white, powder-coated shelves
- Adjustable, removable shelves with tall container storage
- Used for hotel, bar, car, vehicle, apartment, villa and other places.
- This products is equipped with GAS/Electric Thermostat,and it doesn't come with the regulator and...
Smad is a unique and straightforward-designed fridge that is very easy to operate. It’s durable and is very easy to clean too. It offers massive portability and mobility thanks to its stable design. The battery ignition and safety valve are located in the front for ease of access.
- Easy cleaning
- Good design
6. Dometic CFX 65DZ
- NO ICE NEEDED - Except making ice for drinks! 106 Can/53l Capacity, dual zone cooling compartment....
- DEEP FREEZE - High performance compressor reaches –7 °F (–22 °C) with minimal energy...
- ULTRA LOW POWER CONSUMPTION - Advanced compressor electronics use AC, DC, and solar power - enjoy...
- HEAVY-DUTY DESIGN - Fitted with heavy-duty details like reinforced corners, stainless steel hinges...
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY - Control and monitor the cooling temperature in the compartment. Charge small...
This is an excellent portable refrigerator, and you won’t need ice for it due to the excellent built-in cooling functionality. It has a high-performance compressor that reaches up to -7 degrees Fahrenheit (or -22 degrees Celsius). It has a heavy-duty design and is both strong and durable. It can also charge small electronic devices which is pretty cool.
- Removable wire baskets for capacity
- High-performance compressor
- Not dual zoned
7. Superior Propane LP Gas 8cu ft
- 8 Cubic Foot Refrigerator 2-Way (LP/110V)
- Exterior Dimensions: 64.5" H x 24" W x 25" D
- Interior Dimensions: Refrigerator: 36.5" H x 19.5" W x 15" D - Freezer: 13" H x 17" W x 11.5" D
- Gas Connection: 3/8" Male Flare - Fuel Consumption: 0.285 Gallons LP/Day @1500 BTU/HR
- Ships by Freight Truck - Commercial Shipping Address Required for Free Delivery
This off-grid fridge has excellent quality at an affordable price. The overall capacity is really good and the shelves can be removed in case you need extra space as well. The interior LED light is powered by four AA batteries, and the control panel has an igniter, safety panel, and thermostat for easy monitoring.
- Good quality
- A bit too large to carry
8. Smad Gas Refrigerator 9.3 ft
- 2-way refrigerator with freezer, LPG and AC 110V available
- Adjustable and removable shelves allow tall container storage
- Gas/electric thermostat; Reversible door; Power switch function
- Absorption refrigeration,no noise, no vibration, no Freon, no pollution, low energy consumption
- Get 1 portable mini fridge for free when you purchase this propane refrigerator, add both to cart...
The Smad Gas Refrigerator is a 2-way fridge with LPG and electricity supply. It has an overall great capacity, and the shelves can be removed too. It has a good design along with a good quality compressor. The safety valve and the thermostat are located on the control panel, and it has excellent cooling technology which makes it an ideal choice for an off-gride fridge.
- Good quality
- Excellent capacity
It’s always smart to be prepared, and hopefully, this article has helped you decide which is the best off-grid fridge for you. Feel free to browse through the rest of my site to learn what it means to survive in an uncertain world.